This Cuban Steak with Onions dish is jam packed full of delicious flavors! It’s tender, savory, and sure to make any abuela proud. Oh, and did I mention how easy it is to make? 👵🏻👍
HALLEEEELUUUUJUAH!!! Bits of Umami is alive 🙏🏼
There really is nothing like a good ‘ol Blog-iversary & New Year to get things up and running again…
Speaking of Blog-iversaries – Bits of Umami is officially 2 years old today! Like whaaaa. Seems like just yesterday I was bothering all of my family and friends with the most ridiculous food pun names to name this damn thing and now it’s a real website with real posts and real people reading it. Now, if only there was also a person actively posting recipes on it. Yeah, that would be pretty cool. Sorry y’all. I’m trying to be better this year. I promise.
In celebration of Bits of Umami’s birthday – I have included a Spotify playlist at the bottom of this post that goes with the theme of today’s recipe. I was listening to it while writing so I figured why not share the goodness 💃🏻🎂
Now, in regards to the New Year I thought I’d share some highlights from 2016. & Instead of going into a long winded paragraph about all the cool and maybe not so cool things that happened this past year – I’m gonna keep it short and just give ya a list of 5. Also, more than 5 seems a bit excessive for 2016. Was it a good year for anyone? That’s a serious question.
- Went to Puerto Rico (the motherland/well 1 of ‘em) – Zip lined in the rain, ate way too much pork, and got pooped on by bats. Definitely in the 2016 #1 spot.
- Became a fairy Godmother to the cutest baby boy I’ve ever seen.
- Started a new job – joined the world of YouTube and Mickey Mouse. This might explain my more than sane number of Instagram Disneyland posts.
- My best friend got married & aside from the obvious reasons why this was super special this also meant I won an 8 year long bet we made freshman year of college which entitled me to a free meal. #winning
- Celebrated my parents 25th anniversary in Mexico – this also marked the 1st time I traveled across the border on purpose since my accidental visit 3 years ago (it’s a long story – just don’t ever trust me with giving you directions).
Anywho, I don’t think you came here to hear me speak about myself or my year sooooooo back to the important stuff – FOOD 👅👅👅
This dish is one that my mom would make alllll the time growing up. Now that I’m living on my own and can’t ever find the energy or time to cook myself dinner (god forbid the day I ever actually have real responsibilities)… I know why. It has got to be one of the easiest and quickest meals to throw together. It helps that it is also delicious. It’s one of those Cuban classics that in my opinion is way underrated and it is one of my all time favorites.
The list of ingredients for this one may look extensive at first glance, but realistically 70% of it is oil and spices (that includes salt/pepper which you should have). The other 30% is steak & produce. Yes, I actually did the math on that. As far as the spices go… I plan to heavy up my number of Cuban/Puerto Rican recipes this year so to make it easy on yourself keep the following at the ready and you’ll be set – Cumin, Oregano, Sazon, and Adobo.
Bistec Encebollado (Steak with Onions) is exactly what it sounds like. Steaks marinated with onions, garlic, and vinegar that will leave you with the most tender & delicious beef you have ever bitten into. This dish pretty much defines my childhood. It may not win any awards for the fanciest meal, but it is simple and it is fantastic. It also looks like you put way more effort into it than you actually did. The trickery is really what it’s all about.
Here’s a simplified run down of the recipe process in case you get stuck:
- Marinate meat with onions.
- Sauté meat first then add onions
- Add some vinegar and seasonings
- Cook that shiz up for a little bit of time – but cover it so all those yummy juices don’t vanish
- Sprinkle some magical cilantro on top for taste (but it also makes it look pretty) & EATTTTTTTTT
I know, I know… That all sounds difficult (I’m being sarcastic btw), but I have all the faith in the world that you can do it.
Trust me, if 2016 Melissa can whip this up then so can you 💁🏻